Introduction to Fly Fishing in Michigan by Forrest Fishing
Listen to the river and you will catch a trout. -Irish Proverb
- For those who want to learn the basics of the sport and get fishing quickly
- Learn to fly cast and the methods used on Michigan rivers
- Information on how to fly fish year round
- Learn about the different fish species and where to find them
- Gain an understanding of the flies used in Michigan rivers
- How to read rivers and search for fish
- Gain an understanding of the basics of aquatic insects that fish target
- Explanation of different gear used for fly fishing such as waders, boots, vests, packs, outerwear, and more
- Learn about weather and river conditions to know when fishing is optimal
- Information on getting started tying your own flies
- Fly rod and reel selection for the type of fishing to be done
- How to setup the fly rod for different methods of fly fishing
- Learn the common knots needed
- Obtain resources for taking your introduction to the next level, fly shops, organizations, guides, and more
This class consists of four weekly sessions held on Saturdays. The class format is lecture and hands on. The class will be held at specified location outdoors where casting and instruction is beneficial. If weather does not permit, a class make-up day will be specified.
Fully equipped fly rods for casting lessons are provided.
Waders or rubber boots will be needed for the on river instructions. If you do not have access to waders or boots we have some available to rent for a small fee. Please make note of it when signing up for a session so that we can reserve waders or boots for you.
By the end of each session you will have gained the knowledge, technique and resources to go fly fishing for trout and other fish confidently on Michigan rivers and start on a path to an amazing sport.
2017 Class Sessions
Session 1 : May 4, 11, 18 25 – Saturday Mornings 9am-11:30am
Session 2: June 1, 8, 15, 22 – Saturday Mornings 9am-11:30am
Session 3 July 6, 13, 20, 27 – Saturday Mornings 9am-11:30am
Session 4 August 3, 10, 17, 24 – Saturday Mornings 9am-11:30am
Session 5 September 8, 15, 22, 29 – Saturday Mornings 9am-11:30am
Session 6 October 5, 12, 19, 26 – Saturday Mornings 9am-11:30am
2017 Pricing and Payment
$349 per Session